Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bea Alonzo: “SUCCESS IS JUST A BONUS”

She is one of the prime talents of Star Magic. Currently making waves on ABS-CBN's primetime teleserye Maging Sino Ka Man, Bea Alonzo has established herself as one of the most promising actresses of her generation. Despite her being only 19 years old—she turned a year older on October 17—there is a maturity in her portrayals that was evident as early as her first teleserye appearance in Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay, where she had to convince audiences that she was a 20-something lawyer despite being only 15 years old.

Showbiz watchers predict that this young actress will be showbiz's next big thing. Let's ask Bea how she feels about all the attention being heaped on her, the lessons she's learned and her future plans.

How do you feel about your success?

Nag-e-enjoy ako. I love what I do. The success is just a bonus.

Do you sometimes feel that you had to give up a big part of your life in the name of your career?

Breadwinner ako, and I have a lot of commitments and responsibilities, pero okay lang yon. Like I said, I'm really enjoying my career, so I don't mind. It's all part of the job.

Who are the people who have been a big influence on your career?

Definitely, si Mr. M. (Johnny Manahan, head of Star Magic). Siya ang dahilan ng lahat ng ito. Parang tatay ko na siya eh. At siyempre, yung ibang mga taga-Star Magic like Ms. Mariole and my handlers. They've been a big help to me. At saka si Tito Archie Ilagan, who discovered me. I wouldn't even be in showbiz if not for him. Among my colleagues, si Shaina (Magdayao), who's my best friend. She was in showbiz ahead of me, and knows a lot about the business. She has been guiding me ever since. She taught me a lot. And of course, John Lloyd (Cruz).

Malaki talaga ang utang na loob ko sa love team namin. It's a big part of my career success. Hindi siguro ako makakarating sa kinalalagyan ko ngayon kung hindi siya ang ka-loveteam ko.

What is the best piece of career advice someone has given you?

Mr. M. told me, just recently, not to think about others too much and to just concentrate on my work and on what I'm doing. Sabi niya, “Basta alam mo ang ginagawa mo, 'yon ang importante.” The problem with me sometimes is that I think about others and what they say too much that I tend to get distracted. That's one thing I want to change about myself. I really need to learn how to focus more.

What is the best thing about your job?

That I get to entertain people and make them happy. That's definitely the best thing about it.

What is the biggest trade-off?

Of course, being in showbiz, I would say that it's the lack of privacy. Lahat naman yata ng artista, ganoon ang nararamdaman from time to time.It's not that we hate showbiz, pero siyempre, tao ka pa rin at kailangan mo pa rin ng privacy kahit paano.

I love my job, pero ang dami ko din na-sacrifice for it—like my studies. I was never able to continue my studies. That's something I'd still like to do in the future. I hope I get a chance to do that. Sayang naman kung hindi.
What has been the biggest benefit of having a career like yours?

Siyempre, nandiyan yung satisfaction sa job mo. At saka the earnings are also a big thing. Thanks to my job, I've already been able to buy a two bedroom condo at Eastwood last month. I was also able to buy a brand-new car. I wouldn't say I'm financially successful, but I like being financially independent and being able to buy the things I want and need.

What have your learned from being in showbusiness?

A lot. First of all, I've learned how to manage my finances.

And more important, naging mas mabuting tao ako, kasi siyempre, ang dami kong nakakahalubilo na tao.

At saka mas magaling na ako mag-handle ng problems. I've become more mature. I've learned to face things in life in a more mature way. Time management is also important, especially when you have so many things to do.

0 comments: